Reliance Gear Company Limited was incorporated and took over the business of “Gear Cutters and Engineers carried on by Byrom Jury & Co of Moldgreen”.
Early products included the Reliance washing machine, covered by a patent sealed in 1936 during the short reign of Edward VIII.
The company was purchased by Mr Max Selka, who, together with his wife Jennifer, devoted the next sixty years to building Reliance into the world class organisation we see today.
Reliance moved from Union Street, Huddersfield to St. Helen’s Gate, Almondbury. The shield of St. Helen forms the basis of our corporate logo to this day.
The 1960s saw the introduction of the first Reliance catalogue, the first contract from the Admiralty, the Indicon R closed loop analogue electro-mechanical machine tool read-out, and the modular gearbox.
Reliance Precision Manufacturing (Ireland) Limited (RPMI) was set up specifically to make high accuracy, ground measuring racks needed by the machine tool industry.
Rack and pinion system produced by Reliance provides the positional feedback for the Jodrell Bank observatory radio telescope – still the third largest in the world today.
The 1980s saw the acquisition of Rowley Mills and the installation of a laminar flow cleanroom, enabling the manufacture and assembly of quadrupoles for the mass spectrometry industry.
First major extension to the Rowley Mills site and consolidation of all UK operations into one location.
Name changed to Reliance Precision Limited to reflect more accurately the broader range of activities now undertaken. Third major extension to Rowley Mills.
2010 - 2015
Establishment of a new holding company, Reliance RG Limited, and a supervisory board of family shareholders. Continued investment in people, plant and technology to keep us at the forefront in our chosen fields and to enable growth in new sectors such as satellites, bionic prosthetics and DNA analysis instruments.